About Our Long Island Sports Medicine
Dr. Sileo is interested in caring for both competitive and recreational athletes. He specializes in the arthroscopic and minimally invasive treatment of shoulder, hip, and knee injuries but has vast experience in most areas of both operative and non-operative orthopedics. Dr. Sileo is one of the few orthopedic surgeons in the tri-state area who routinely performs hip arthroscopy for the minimally invasive treatment of hip labral tears and femoroacetabular impingement. Dr. Sileo emphasizes both rehabilitation as well as training to prevent sports-related injuries. His other areas of interest include the treatment of cartilage and meniscal injuries and fracture care. Contact us today to learn about our Long Island Sports Medicine.
Finding Relief: Dr. Michael J. Sileo’s Guide to Treatment Options for Shoulder Impingement
Shoulder impingement is common among athletes and individuals with physically demanding lifestyles. It can be painful and debilitating, affecting your daily activities and sports performance. However, there’s hope. Visit our website to learn more about Long Island Sports Medicine.
Meet Dr. Michael J. Sileo – Your Expert in Long Island Sports Medicine.
Regarding Long Island sports medicine, Dr. Michael J. Sileo is a trusted name. Dr. Sileo is a renowned orthopedic surgeon with years of experience and a commitment to providing the best possible care to his patients. His expertise in treating sports-related injuries, including shoulder impingement, makes him a sought-after professional.
Understanding Shoulder Impingement
Before delving into treatment options, it’s essential to understand what shoulder impingement is. Dr. Michael J. Sileo explains that shoulder impingement occurs when the rotator cuff tendons in the shoulder become compressed or irritated as they pass through the narrow space beneath the acromion, a part of the shoulder blade. This compression can lead to pain, inflammation, and limited shoulder mobility.
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
For many individuals with shoulder impingement, non-surgical treatment options can provide significant relief. Dr. Michael J. Sileo highlights some of these approaches:
- Rest and Activity Modification: Giving the shoulder adequate rest and avoiding activities that exacerbate the pain can allow the inflammation to subside.
- Physical Therapy: A structured physical therapy program can help strengthen the shoulder muscles and improve the range of motion, reducing the risk of impingement.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medications: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can help alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
- Corticosteroid Injections: In some cases, corticosteroid injections into the shoulder joint can temporarily relieve pain and inflammation.
- Lifestyle Changes: Dr. Sileo may recommend adjustments to your daily activities and posture to prevent further shoulder irritation.
Surgical Intervention for Shoulder Impingement
While non-surgical options are often the first line of defense, some cases of shoulder impingement may require surgical intervention. Dr. Michael J. Sileo explains that surgical treatment is typically considered when conservative methods have failed to provide relief or when there is significant structural damage to the shoulder. Surgical options include:
- Arthroscopy: Arthroscopic surgery is a minimally invasive procedure in which small incisions are made to access and repair the damaged tissues in the shoulder. It is a popular choice for treating shoulder impingement.
- Subacromial Decompression: This procedure involves removing a small portion of the acromion to create more space for the rotator cuff tendons, reducing compression.
- Rotator Cuff Repair: Surgical repair may be necessary to restore function and alleviate impingement if the rotator cuff tendons are torn.
Dr. Sileo’s extensive experience in Long Island sports medicine enables him to determine the most suitable surgical approach for each patient, ensuring the best possible outcome.
Long Island Sports Medicine
Shoulder impingement can be a painful and limiting condition, but with the guidance of an expert like Dr. Michael J. Sileo, effective treatment options are available. Whether through non-surgical methods or surgical intervention, relief from shoulder impingement is within reach. Don’t let shoulder pain hold you back from your daily activities or sports performance – consult with Dr. Sileo, a leading expert in Long Island sports medicine, and embark on a path to shoulder health and pain-free living.